Backyard Adventures

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Opinion of the Army Combat Uniform (ACUs)

Opinion of the Army Combat Uniform (ACUs)

The Army Combat Uniform (ACUs) is the current combat uniform worn by the United States Army, which was fielded in April 2005. It replaced the Battle Dress Uniform (BDUs) and Desert Camouflage Uniform (DCUs) and features a number of design changes, modifications that are undesirable for some. This article represents my opinion of the uniform.

Complaint Number One, Cost

First of all, I would like to complain about the cost. The cost for BDUs, to include the pants and the shirt/jacket was roughly 50$. ACUs costs roughly $76 per ensemble. The Army (Reserves) gives you an initial issue of two, and a year later, two more: That’s it, nada, no more! The Army states that a clothing allowance has been adjusted for the more expensive uniforms. That means in the Reserves, you don’t get to replace your uniforms as often. “Hmmm I don’t remember a clothing allowance in the Reserves either. I better check my LES.” All of the insignia and patches are an extra cost too. This includes patches, name and branch tapes, and skill tabs, which is all backed with new Velcro. But to save in the cost to the soldier, they made everything Velcro (to save Private Snuffy from sewing all his insignia). “Ok, so I have to purchase more expensive patches and tapes with the new Velcro backing, and I have to replace them every time I switch uniforms?” The subdued patches are quit expensive also. This is an extra cost, because the patches wear out faster because soldiers constantly have to take them on and off every time they put on a new uniform. The Army states that this is a cost savings measure, as we don’t have to sew on rank and patches any more. I didn’t mind taking my uniform down to the cleaners to get a nice sew-on patch. But I have to purchase more flags and patches as they wear out faster. Did I mention the patches get dirty in the field? You can’t just wash them on your uniform as they get frayed more than sew on patches. Go figure! I will address patches and tabs in a moment. My initial point was cost of the uniforms, cost of the patches and tabs, and additional cost due to uniform replacement. I will mention durability in an upcoming complaint.

Complaint Number Two, Velcro

My second complaint is the Velcro sucks! It literally sucks (or sticks) to everything but the patches, and don’t get mud or dirt on the Velcro hooks and fasteners. It doesn’t work well with mud. I found out also that you have to turn the uniform inside out when you wash them, as the Velcro and uniforms all stick together during the wash and dryer cycle. The Army states that the Velcro patches are so when you get captured, you can take your name and rank off and they enemy won’t know your name or position. I can do that just as fast with a Gerber in my hand if I get captured. Now wait a minute! I also have to take all the nameplates and patches off in the laundry, an incident for a potential loss of a rank or unit patch. We have 160,000 people in Iraq and a third of that in Afghanistan. How often do soldiers need to take their Velcro patches off? Special Forces need to take off their patches, I don’t! The uniform also features hook and loop fasteners on the pockets, and the noise associated with opening Velcro fasteners give away a soldier's position in the field. The Army has stated, “That the noise issue has been determined to be a minor issue that can be negated with correct noise discipline.” Hog wash! What was wrong with all the buttons? They worked fine on the BDUs, and now that we don’t have to starch our uniforms, the buttons worked great (The starch on the uniforms made the buttons stand out). This isn’t a problem, as we don’t have to starch our uniforms any more. Furthermore, several of my soldiers have expressed concern about the Velcro on the ACU. Dirt and mud clog the hooks and loops and they wear out with use. Zippers have also been a topic of concern as well. Soldiers express concern because the zippers (as with any zipper) can bind up, and render the uniform uncomfortable to wear, especially with body armor. Bring back the buttons!

Complaint Number Three, Little Thingies

What do all the little thingies around the uniform do? I’ll start with Little Thingy Number One, the strings around the waist (i.e. the drawstring waist band). You don’t need little strings if you wear a belt, and a belt is required on the ACU pants. Hence, there is no need for little strings.

Little Thingy Number Two, the String Tightener (i.e. in the pant-thigh pockets called hook and loop closures). When do you use these? If you put a canteen in your pants pocket, you don’t need the string tightener to hold your canteen into your pocket. The Army took away all my canteens anyway and gave me a Camelback. Hence, you don’t need to tighten anything in these pockets. By the way, have you ever sat down on the string tightener? In a class all day long watching power point slides, a string tightener is not something fun to sit on.

Little Thingy Number Three, Tiny Ankle Pockets. Have you ever used the tiny little pockets above the ankles? What are these for? I am not sure if a pack of smokes will even fit in one of these. I don’t smoke so I don’t need a little pocket. “Maybe I can put a spare magazine in them? Nope, these are too small for anything practical. I bet I can put something useful in them, unless I forget what is in there prior to laundry. I know, I can put all those little cards the Army gives you (i.e. the CFLCC ROE, insect bite, Army values, and the IED Smart cards) in there.”

Little Thingy Number Four, IR IFF Little Squares. Has anyone had to use the IR squares yet? “The jacket/shirt features permanent IR IFF squares that are sewn to each shoulder for nighttime identification. These reflect infrared light and can be easily seen with night vision devices. They are protected by Velcro tabs in garrison or when not in use.” I think these are placed on the uniform so sergeant majors can walk by and correct young soldiers displaying these little black squares. I think these are useless. I don’t want to be seen in the field with my black square showing in my NVGs. I am sure there is a better alternative than putting these all over the uniform. How many soldiers in the entire inventory need little black squares on their uniform? I bet it is less than one percent. By the way, “cat eyes” work great on my Kevlar, not on my uniform when I am trying to conceal myself from the enemy. Do helicopters need to see soldiers from below with their little IR squares? If you buy ACU’s from the surplus store or on line, you can avoid uniforms with Little Thingy Number Four.

Little Thingy Number Five, drawstrings on your ankle/pants. If you blouse your boots correctly or put your pant legs into your boots, these stings get in the way. I find these strings useless as I put my pant legs into my boots so creatures and dirt from the field don’t get into my boots. If you blouse your boots, the strings easily become untied throughout the day. Please get rid of little strings.

Little Thingy Number Six, Zippers. I like zippers, just not on my ACUs. Bring back buttons!

One of My Most Annoying Little Thingy Number Seven, the Mandarin Collar. The collar rubs your neck and gives you a rash. In body armor it is even worse. I like the Elvis collar on the BDU’s even better than the rash-collar on the new ACU’s. I don’t know how you would fix this annoyance, but I am sure someone can design a collar that doesn’t rub on your neck all day.

Lastly, A Good Little Thingy, the penholders. Little Thingy Number Eight is a good addition to the uniform. I like the three-slot pen pocket on the left arm of the jacket. But I still reach to my chest for a pen now and again, and to my luck there is no pen found there anymore.

Complaint Number Four, ACU Fabric

“The nylon cotton fabric does not breathe as well as the cotton DCUs and results in a hotter uniform in high temperature climates.” I liked the DCU material. It was a lot cooler and not as bulky as the new uniform. It seems the BDU and DCU uniforms where much more durable too. “Hmmmm should I put this in the cost category?” Early ACU uniform also had several issues with durability, such as ripping seams. I have seen this first hand with stitching coming undone. In later ACU uniforms this is still a continuing problem. “Reports of low durability may not take into account that the designed wear-life of the ACU is only six months.” Let me re-cap, a more costly uniform lasting only six months, no clothing allowance, and only two uniforms issued per year? This is a great reason to switch to ACUs. I won’t even go into the universal camouflage pattern. “Yes I will!” I like the picture of the soldier being camouflaged on the couch that went around the Internet some time back. The blog that has the camouflaged couch said this: “Many of us have asked the simple question...What environment is the ACU uniform made for. It doesn't seem to blend into our comfy tree lines. It tends to clash with urban areas. One of my Soldiers found the perfect background while napping on his Grandmother's couch. Now we just have to find a way to harden this piece of furniture and make it tactical. Cost effective of course.” http://miserabledonuts.blogspot.com/2007/02/acu-test.html When I was at Fort Lewis last year, “Look over there, a person with ACUs in the trees” when you couldn’t see the woodland BDU uniform in the distance. Go figure!

“Although common practice (though not required by regulation) with the BDUs, ACUs are not to be starched.” This will be changed soon too right? It will only be a matter of time when some command sergeant major will want a pretty uniform when I go to the field. “Starching the uniform has been shown to cause discoloration. It enhances the IR signature, making the uniform brighter when viewed with night vision goggles. In addition, personnel have been instructed that the uniform must be washed with a mild detergent that does not contain "optical brighteners." Detergents with optical brighteners may cause discoloration of the uniform, which would nullify the purpose of the very specific camouflage design and result in possible unwanted detection of personnel using the uniforms in combat. Some detergents have phosphorescent properties which enhance an enemy's ability to see the soldier when viewed with Night Vision Devices.” So, I have to use Woolite, I can’t use Tide any more to get the stains out, they aren’t durable, they don’t breath, and nullifying the purpose of a uniform is now more important than killing and breaking things. I think the Army got hosed on this appropriations bill.


Complaint Number Six, Patches, Pins, Badges and Tapes

You get two sets of patches that you have to keep track of. Since I had several BDU uniforms, I never lost flags, pins and rank. I am not that prone to losing things, but that little rank patch on the sternum seems to go missing a lot. I had to borrow from my buddy last drill. “It is great for promoting female soldiers,” As my wife has pointed out to me also. Sewing eliminates this problem and they look better than these thick bulky patches. The patches get more abuse to constant pulling on and off of uniforms as I stated earlier, as well as the patches get dirty because they don’t get sewn on.

Another dumb idea is that skill badges (such as airborne and air assault tabs) are worn as pin-on only. This is stupid! Why do they call the brass pins that hook the skill tabs to the uniform “Dammits” for? Because they fall off easily, “dammit”! In the field, skill tabs go missing easily. Who is the bureaucrat that is against sewing patches to the uniform? It looks nice, and pin-on rank and badges fall off easily. They also get scuffed up more readily than patches. Pinning of the airborne “chest candy” is a pain. By the way, the IR American (sticker) flag is ugly, get rid of it. I am still confused why the flag is backwards too. The Army states, “It is positioned so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag's right. This gives the impression that the soldier is advancing into battle with the flag unfurling behind them.” Can someone explain this to me? Does the enemy really care if we are advancing or not by our flag coming towards them? Bring back the regular flag. I think subdued flags would be fine also.

I like the boots and I am glad that we don’t have to shine boots again. However, berets have replaced the boot shinning mantra, with “Your beret looks like crap, fix it” complaint. This is often followed with the “Don’t you know how to shave your beret, or “Don’t you know how to shape your beret?” My response is, “It looks like the picture in the manual” and “It says in the book I am not suppose to shave the beret.” I can do a whole story on what soldiers feel about this useless piece of itchy fabric. Should I start by saying it itches, it doesn’t provide me with cover from the sun, and it can’t be shoved into my pocket without getting wrinkly? They need to be used with the Class A uniform only. The Rangers can have them back. I want my soft cap back! I am still trying to figure out when I am supposed to bring my beret to drill or my soft cap. Field soldiers don’t need a useless piece of fabric itching when on patrol.

I don’t have a problem rolling the sleeves down, as required with the ACUs. Rolling the sleeves up in the summer time was a pain. Plus you never knew when you could or couldn’t have your sleeves up anyway. My sleeves never seem to stay up throughout the day. Sleeves down are better anyway as for sun exposure and creatures biting your arm. It helps in the heat to. Also, I think I like the pouches for knee-pad/elbow-pad inserts. This is a nice idea, but I have only used it while at the range. Maybe I need to go in the field again soon, as I am getting rusty on my tactical skills. Furthermore, pocket placement on the ACUs is adequate. It may have been a good idea to get rid of the lower-shirt pockets, as these pockets were useless for putting items in there.

To sum up my complaints are as follows: Cost, Velcro, Useless Little Thingies, Fabric and Durability, Pins and Patches, and Sewing. With all the soldiers in uniform around the world on a daily basis, you would think the Army would take in consideration the conditions we work in, the cost to the soldier, and the needs the soldier has. Next time some three-star wants to make a promotion by fielding junk, ask the young soldier what his needs are. As him if all this stuff on the uniform is necessary, make the uniform durable, make it useful, make it cost effective for the private that gets a minimal uniform allowance, and make it functional for the entire Army.

You can read about the wear and appearance, parts and care, initial fielding, and other aspects of the material and patterns at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Combat_Uniform

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home